Symposium : "The History of Printing and Publishing in theLanguages and Countries of the Middle East", Paris, November 2nd and 3rd, 2005.
archives , Archives.
The first symposium on "The History of Printing and Publishing in the
Languages and Countries of the Middle East" was successfully held as a
three day special session of the First World Congress of Middle Eastern
Studies (WoCMES) in Mainz, in September 2002.
A second international meeting devoted to the
same themes and hosted by the Bibliothèque nationale de France, Paris, will be take place in November 2nd and 3rd, 2005. The convenors are Dr. Geoffrey J. Roper
<email@example.com>, as the scientific consultant and Sara Yontan
<firstname.lastname@example.org> as the local organiser. Further information
about the programme will follow shortly.
Some of the specific themes which may be discussed and developed in the
conference papers are again the following ; however, other suggestions
are most welcome:
- The origins and developments of European typography in Middle Eastern
- The arrival and developments of typography in the Middle East
- The aesthetic and practical dimensions of Middle Eastern typography
(design, cognitive effects, etc.)
- Lithography in the Middle East
- Birth and development of newspapers and magazines
- Aspects of descriptive and analytical bibliography of early and rare
Middle Eastern printed material
- The history of Middle Eastern publishing, and the social, economic,
and literary consequences
- The history of publishing Middle Eastern languages elsewhere
outside the Middle East
- The art and techniques of illustrations in books and periodicals
At this early stage, we need to have enough indication as to the number
of people who plan to attend and better still who plan to present a paper.
An indication of the subject matter will suffice.
Sara Yontan Musnik
Bibliothèque nationale de France